Salamanders Galore


I know I haven't written in a while, but not much has happened of note.
We celebrate fourth of July on Saturday, where I saw fireworks and a lot of middle-age people drunk. I made peanut butter cookies at one on Sunday and they were gone by two. The buzzing flies are driving me batty and I have an intolerable mosquite bite on the arch of my foot. Last night I watched Cinderella Man and thought it was pretty good. I've been freezing in bed for the past few nights and I think I'm getting sick!
But today, everything started out as usual. We did a plot search, got dirty, ate lunch, and then the fun began! We did another plot search in the afternoon, where we looked for salamanders in a 25m square plot of land. Up until now we had only seen Notophthalmus viridescens (red newt pictured above) and Plethodon cinereus (the red back from a few posts ago). However, today we found five species and 39 individuals!!! We found the Spotted Salamander (pictured above), the Dusky Salamander, and the Two Line Salamander as well as our usual! It was crazy. You would pick up a rock and there would be three or four underneath running and hiding! It was great fun.
Also of interest, we got a fiesty baby robin for the wildlife rehabilitator. We named her Bella and she ate lots of soaked cat food and loved Amazing Graze. It's been a fun week.
-Until next time

1 Comments:
Thanks for sending the e-mail! I liked that line, "it was great fun." :)
Post a Comment
<< Home