Sunday, July 23, 2006

N-Y-C!!!

Jessica and me in front of a Stegosaurus at the Museum of Natural History
Vaness and me on Broadway after seeing Avenue Q.
Hey all, I have lots to tell about my adventures in NYC this weekend! Let’s start with Friday. So, I had a very short relaxed day at the preserve. Checked pitfall traps…which actually caught some beetles…prepared my experiment (I still need 100 worms), and researched. My housemates drove me to Albany in the afternoon and they stayed and barhopped (with a DD) in the evening. I arrived in NYC at 7:15pm, hopped on the subway, and met JY at Barnes and Nobles. We took her break to go to a vegetarian pizza place, where I had real pizza for the first time in like two years (granted it was cheeseless pizza) at Café Viva. Then, I spent a relaxing evening at her grandparents apartment eating ice cream (from Tasti D-Lite – mmm, PB and Chocolate) and making various phone calls.

Next Day: So, we wake up and take a lovely stroll through Central Park (after a cup of coffee, of course). We go up to Belvedere Castle, get lost in the Shakespeare Gardens, and see turtles in one of the quiet zones. Then, we have fun at the Museum of Natural History looking at dioramas and the dinosaurs. Then, we make the necessary stop at Zabars. I buy my Babka and we have lunch at the café (grilled veggie paninis). So, that done and us full, we head down to the pier to walk along the water (although we skip the underpass guarded by three menacing-looking people). Catch the subway down to NYU, take a look at Jess’s apartment (very nice), try desperately to find an open Starbucks at which to use her meal-plan points (it had to be specific). No luck, went with Dunkin’ Donuts at Union Square (very cool). Quick stop at Whole Foods to pick up soynut butter (I know I’m weird) and end up buying Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter as well (PB & Co.). By now it’s almost time to meet Vanessa for dinner, so we head over to Zen Palate on 9th Ave and 45th street. We have a tasty dinner (various vegetarian delights) and catch up on three years of not seeing each other. After dinner was Avenue Q! Hilarious and true-to-life…not softening it one bit. Now, I need to get a hold of the soundtrack and not graduate from college (it seems to scary after this). Nothing more happened that was too exciting; we rode the subway back, parted ways, and Jessica and I settled down for some babka (I love babka) and Curb Your Enthusiasm (a show by the Seinfeld creator and too painful for me to EVER watch again)! I took my first shower in a month that wasn’t with sulfur water…aaaaah!

Last Day/Today: More relaxed than the hard day yesterday (riiiiight…). I had accidentally reset my alarm yesterday when I was trying to turn it off and so it didn’t go off this morning. But, that’s ok, because I still naturally woke up at 8am (a little later than I had wanted). Jessica had to work this morning, so I went with her to the radio station for Democracy Now and saw her in action (recording newsreels, etc.) It was freezing, though…probably making sure the equipment doesn’t overheat. Then, Vanessa picked me up around 11am and we headed down to a street fair on Broadway. Before we reached it, though, we stopped for lunch at Le Pain Quotidien (French café). It was really yummy, with organic food and a great ambience. I got bean soup and a pot of coffee, which were both delicious. We hit the fair: lots of cool clothes, jewelry, and food. I really wanted to buy this vegan, organic soup (but it was $6 a bar and I had already spent toooo much money). Wandering done, we headed to Penn Station where we parted ways. I went to Port Authority bus station and headed back to Albany. Ashlee and Mariah were waiting for me, which was wonderfully nice! I introduced them to babka when I got back, and I believe I can quote Mariah as saying she was “swirled in chocolaty goodness”.

Well, That’s All Folks!

1 Comments:

At 24/7/06 7:23 PM, Blogger jkim5154 said...

ooh! sounds like you had a lot of fun! it's sweltering here on campus...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home