MY BIRTHDAY!

Top: Ashlee, Justin, and Luke on the porch on Saturday evening
Bottom: The Oakhill Kitchen Cafe
So, I haven’t written in a bit, but the past two days have been pretty exciting! Saturday was the preserve’s annual science symposium. We started at 10am, but I skipped out for an hour to go to the farmer’s market (one of the ladies there is going to display my earrings!) and to the library to get a movie and a French book. Then, it was back to listening to different researchers talk about their work on the preserve over the past 30 years! Many of them were long-winded (probably because they love to talk about what they do for a living), but there were some interesting people. One man talked about “Beavers, Bambi, and Talking Trees”; he’d been doing research here since 1970. Of course, we went an hour over, but we ended on a good note: all of the interns (myself included) did a short presentation on the tent caterpillar outbreak this year.
After the symposium, we had a lovely barbeque, for which I made brownies. Someone battered and fried Day Lilies that grew behind the cottage! With wine and beer in everyone’s stomach, it was no wonder that after the BBQ, Dr. Wyman broke out his harmonica and Dr. Robinson broke out his guitar. We had some good folksy songs, some Bob Dylan, and some of the other creations of Dr. Robinson (I recall one about chickens egging a farmer for selling them to the “Colonel” and another from when he was in the Marine Corps of Engineers called the “Beaver’s March” about dams and other destructive activities). It was a lot of fun and very funny seeing biologists and ecologists having a good old time. Then people went home and I settled in to watch Brother Bear…
Today is special…it’s my Birthday!!! I’m no longer a teenager anymore (as of 10am PST). I was very productive this morning. I woke up half an hour late (8am), went and collected some ground beetles, realized I needed two more larger sized ones (gave up because of the flies…), and then set about marking my map of NYC with places I need to go (I will still probably get lost). The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Then we watched Braveheart…and THEN we went to the Oakhill Kitchen for dinner. I’m now addicted to their Common Ground! Check out this weird cultish restaurant: http://www.oakhillkitchen.com/ with really good food! I had the Prince Special salad and two cups of the Common Ground (made in a personal french press - Jessica, you'd appreciate that)! Really yummy, all organic, homemade bread and baked goods.
We came back really full. I go upstairs to check email and put away my Yerba Mate (mmmm!) and they yell at me to come downstairs. On the table is a brownie (and you guys know how I love my brownies) pan with candles and a card. I feel loved. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I miss everyone!
-Adios
So, I haven’t written in a bit, but the past two days have been pretty exciting! Saturday was the preserve’s annual science symposium. We started at 10am, but I skipped out for an hour to go to the farmer’s market (one of the ladies there is going to display my earrings!) and to the library to get a movie and a French book. Then, it was back to listening to different researchers talk about their work on the preserve over the past 30 years! Many of them were long-winded (probably because they love to talk about what they do for a living), but there were some interesting people. One man talked about “Beavers, Bambi, and Talking Trees”; he’d been doing research here since 1970. Of course, we went an hour over, but we ended on a good note: all of the interns (myself included) did a short presentation on the tent caterpillar outbreak this year.
After the symposium, we had a lovely barbeque, for which I made brownies. Someone battered and fried Day Lilies that grew behind the cottage! With wine and beer in everyone’s stomach, it was no wonder that after the BBQ, Dr. Wyman broke out his harmonica and Dr. Robinson broke out his guitar. We had some good folksy songs, some Bob Dylan, and some of the other creations of Dr. Robinson (I recall one about chickens egging a farmer for selling them to the “Colonel” and another from when he was in the Marine Corps of Engineers called the “Beaver’s March” about dams and other destructive activities). It was a lot of fun and very funny seeing biologists and ecologists having a good old time. Then people went home and I settled in to watch Brother Bear…
Today is special…it’s my Birthday!!! I’m no longer a teenager anymore (as of 10am PST). I was very productive this morning. I woke up half an hour late (8am), went and collected some ground beetles, realized I needed two more larger sized ones (gave up because of the flies…), and then set about marking my map of NYC with places I need to go (I will still probably get lost). The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Then we watched Braveheart…and THEN we went to the Oakhill Kitchen for dinner. I’m now addicted to their Common Ground! Check out this weird cultish restaurant: http://www.oakhillkitchen.com/ with really good food! I had the Prince Special salad and two cups of the Common Ground (made in a personal french press - Jessica, you'd appreciate that)! Really yummy, all organic, homemade bread and baked goods.
We came back really full. I go upstairs to check email and put away my Yerba Mate (mmmm!) and they yell at me to come downstairs. On the table is a brownie (and you guys know how I love my brownies) pan with candles and a card. I feel loved. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I miss everyone!
-Adios

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home